Saturday, August 8, 2015

Twitter

I have had a Twitter account forever, and occasionally I will look at it and have tweeted when we have technology challenges at school.  However, since we have started Math Rocks, I have really tried to make it a habit to checkout my feed.  Now I just need to work on tweeting more!  On Thursday I joined the elementary math chat.  It was a good experience (once I got to the right hashtag)!  This time I felt like I was trying to keep up with reading everything, but now that I have it figured out I hope to participate more next time.  It was great to hear from others that teach and get some new ideas and thoughts about teaching math  I hope to be able to join these chats in the future.

3 comments:

  1. Danielle, I'm glad you found #elemmathchat on Thursday! Don't worry about keeping up. There is no way you can do that when 40 or more people are talking at the same time! Think about a staff meeting that is waiting to start. All of these brilliant teachers are in the same place at the same time and probably have similar goals in mind, but keeping up with every conversation in the room is impossible! So, you have been to these meetings before and you know just where to sit to get the most out of the meeting by collaborating with your table mates. Twitter is just like that only we are not all in the same room. After you come to a few chats you will know just who to "sit" with to meet your needs! To help me I pull up the chat leader on my phone to catch all of their questions and replies and sometimes I have another device to follow others or I create a stream on Tweetdeck to follow their Tweets during the chat. The beauty of this Twitter thing is YOU get to decide how and what benefits you the most! Can't wait to chat with you this coming Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was following the chat too Danielle. It was a challenge at first but super fun! I'm looking forward to it getting easier too! So excited about collaborating with you and our Math Rocks group!

    Shametria

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you joined our chat on Thursday! I agree that it can be a little overwhelming at first, but Melynee gave some great advice for managing so many tweets. One great thing about many chats is that the moderators archive them so you can free to browse through them at your leisure. This is so helpful for tracking down links to resources people shared or to catch up on conversations that got away from you. If you didn't see, here's the link to this past Thursdays chat:

    https://storify.com/ElemMathChat/ideas-to-kick-start-a-new-year-of-mathematical-lea?awesm=sfy.co_s0oJ9&utm_content=storify-pingback&utm_medium=sfy.co-twitter&utm_campaign=&utm_source=t.co

    Thanks again for joining us and I look forward to seeing you on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete