Tuesday, August 25, 2015

New Car Smell

Ever since I was little I have dreamed about having a classroom to decorate.  It is one of my favorite things about the beginning of school.  Of course, I am not a little kid anymore and realize there is more thought that needs to go into creating a good learning environment for students than just some posters on the wall.  Here are some things I took into consideration as I set up my classroom this year:

Growth Mindset - I have decided to have a big focus on Growth Mindset this year.  In my class I have a bulletin board that teaches my students how to change their words and thoughts to help create a growth mindset.  I am sure as the year progresses we will refer to this bulletin board often as a reminder.  Also, I have created a space to highlight those "Mindset Moments."  Throughout the year, my students or I will write down moments where we noticed a growth mindset.  I hope that the board is overflowing by December!



Varied Work Spaces - I think it is so important to have a variety of work spaces for students from cushioned chairs to open floor space and even some clear counter space for students to stand at.



Depth & Complexity - This year one of my goals is to incorporate the Depth & Complexity icons into my lessons even more than last year.  So, I have made sure to have a space where they are visible to me and the class in hopes of adding these into class discussions.


Motivation Wall - I may have a slight overload of motivational posters, but I just can't pick a few.  I decided to create a gallery wall behind my desk to help motivate my students and I.


Math Vocabulary - Although my vocabulary cards are not in these pictures, I have made a space at the front of my classroom for math vocabulary.  I have cards with definitions and pictures on them that I post at the beginning of each unit.  We talk through the vocabulary and play games with them throughout each unit.

These are just a few things I took into consideration at the start of this new school year.  I am sure there will be many things added as the school year progresses.  I hope everyone has a wonderful school year!

2 comments:

  1. I love how intentional everything is. When someone walks into a classroom, they don't always get the background behind why the teacher set up her room the way she did. It's great hearing your thoughts as well as how your decisions tie into larger goals you have for the year. I especially look forward to hearing more about how your growth mindset efforts play out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how everything has been so carefully thought out, with the students' success in mind. Have a great year!

    ReplyDelete