Thursday, July 30, 2015

Math Goals for 2015-2016

As the new school year is approaching, I have many goals for myself.  After attending 2 days at Math Rocks, I have had time to reflect on some important math goals for this year.  I am really excited to be part of Math Rocks, and I know it will help me achieve some of these goals.  

I have always wondered how I could enrich my students learning with Number Sense.  It seems like such a daunting concept to teach.  We learned some great ways to incorporate number sense into our daily routine.  So, my goal is to incorporate these activities into our day.  While I realize the importance of Number Sense, my concern is finding time to fit it in.  I am sure I can figure something out!

Another goal is incorporating Intentional Talk.  This has been a big focus on our campus, and I have learned some great strategies on how to use this.  While I have tried this in my class, I feel that I have not been super successful.  I felt that with smaller groups it was hard to do, but I am  sure there are ways that I can make a better effort to model and encourage Intentional Talk in class.

My last goal is to make sure my students are exploring math.  Some of my favorite lessons are ones where the students are learning math through some sort of exploration.  Many times I do not have to directly teach the lesson and they learn as they are working.  I feel like exploring math engages students and gives them more confidence in their learning.  I am hoping that as I share and grow with our Math Rocks team I will get more ideas and more comfortable on how to create lessons like this.

I am so excited about this year and looking forward to growing with Math Rocks!

1 comment:

  1. I love how clear your goals are - building number sense, using Intentional Talk strategies, and having students explore more.

    I agree that time is definitely something teachers would love more of. One thing I like about the routines we learned about on Tuesday is that they can take place in a short amount of time, 10-15 minutes. As students learn the routines, they might take longer because there's more time spent on modeling and learning how it works, but eventually you should be able to get through them in about 10 minutes. Being so short, they can be a great way to focus the students as math class starts. They can even be used in the middle of class to give students a break from what they're doing. I look forward to hearing how you tackle this goal during the school year.

    Thank you for sharing your goals! I'm excited for all of us to work together to help you achieve them.

    ReplyDelete