Tuesday, September 8, 2015

New Year in 5th Grade Math

Last year was my first year teaching TAG math, so I definitely needed to brush up on my middle school math.  That being said, I did not feel like I got off to the best start last year with teaching my 5th graders, but soon after that it was much better.  Our first unit is Rational Number Concepts.  This year I feel like I did a much better job setting this foundation for my 5th graders.  We started by discussing the different types of numbers and creating an organizer in their notebook, so they were able to see the different classifications and how a number could belong to more than one group.



To deepen the definitions, we did "Always, Sometimes, Never" by rolling dice to fill in the blanks with Rational, Natural, Whole, and Integers, and Irrational Numbers.  

Ex:  A(n) Integer is a(n) Natural Number.  

The discussion that came out of this activity really allowed me to see who truly understood the definitions of each group.



We then sorted several types of Real Numbers into an big organizer on the floor.  Again, it was great to see the teamwork and discussions as they discovered where the numbers belonged.




I feel like my students truly understand the different types of numbers, and I am already feeling much better about 5th grade math this year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment